Monday, February 23, 2009

Technology troubles

Technology really failed me today. When I got to campus, I rebooted my cluster frontend, which failed on Saturday. It didn't come back up. Then I discovered that the bright guys in network security had blocked my IP address because someone who had it before me had a compromised machine. When I called the help desk, they said I needed to send an email to get it cleared up. Well, that would have been great, except email was blocked! So I plugged into the HIPerWall network, only to discover it didn't work either. The antique PowerMac G4 server that provided DHCP address, name service, and user accounts has failed, apparently permanently, as it won't even turn on the screen. So there are days I really hate technology.

But I think I'd enjoy digging ditches less, so I'll stick with the techology stuff for now.

I used my iPhone to send the email to unblock my IP address, then I configured the Linux storage server to serve DHCP, so HIPerWall is back up. The CUDA cluster is still hosed, however...