Tuesday, February 10, 2009

New cluster node

I put together a new node for the CUDA cluster. This one has the same el-cheapo Core2Quad 8200 and 4GB of Kingston DDR3 RAM, as well as the scrounged hard disk from the cluster node it replaced (the hard drive tests OK, but doesn't sound very quiet...) I got a bigger power supply this time so I could put 2 Tesla cards in. The documentation is somewhat weak on multiple Tesla cards per machine, so I wasn't sure if I should put in the SLI bridge or not. I didn't, mostly because I forgot - I had the bridge, but buttoned up the machine before I remembered to use it.

Both Tesla cards are detected with no trouble, but I notice an interesting delay as CUDA programs start. This delay does not occur with normal OpenMP or other programs, so must be something to do with the device detection in CUDA. So far, I'm not concerned, but will see if it causes any trouble. I will also look into how to use both cards by two separate programs to see if two of my students can use this node for CUDA simultaneously.